If you’re like me, time flies and suddenly it’s the next season and I’m scrambling to put together a wardrobe for family events, like Easter, for example. So here’s a head start and some tips for getting that “straight out of a magazine” look.
How to + FREE Checklist: 10 Tips for creating a Styled look this Spring
1. Start with the hardest-find-item and build from there. For me, in the Spring, that’s always the dresses. A few of my favorite sources for girls dresses include: Moderne Child, Joyfolie, and J Crew. One of my best friends lives in Australia and let me in on a secret–Cotton On sells really darling kids’ clothes online. Last Spring, I found my daughter’s dress at Nordstrom and my mom sent her a birthday dress this year from Chasing Fireflies, which has some beautiful dresses too.
2. Color scheme. Once I have the dress, I base the rest of our clothes around those colors. So last Spring, it was this beautiful pale blue lace dress and pastels made the most sense! Another cute idea would be to go for classic muted neutral tones like khaki, golden browns, and whites.
3. Mix in a pattern. I love dressing my two sons in gingham dress shirts from J Crew. Gingham is so classic and really evokes spring! If you can work in a pattern, it really helps the whole look feel more styled.
4. Add bow ties and suspenders. These accessories really add interest to a photo! Here is an Etsy shop I love, called Stag Handmade. Liberty prints are my favorite and I’ve ordered ties for my husband and my boys from their cute shop. Incidentally, they arrive packaged so nicely and make a great gift.
5. Layers add depth and texture. I love that third piece–blazer, sweater, or statement jewelry.
6. We love keeping the outfit more neutral and bringing out the color in your shoes.
7. Preparation is key. We recommend a mini-spa day for everyone– teeth brushed, nails polished or nail polish removed, skin exfoliated and moisturized. I always do a mask for my skin the night before.
8. Style that hair. Use hair products for the kids and maybe try cute braids or a bun. If anyone needs a haircut or color refresh, try to make time for that as well!
9. For Mom, that pop of color is a must! This time of year, you may be suffering from extra pale “winter skin”, so a brighter lip can help bring color to your face. Try Bite Beauty for a gorgeous, smooth product that feels fantastic. It’s my favorite brand these days.
10. Last, but not least–set the scene. Go high fashion. Make your family portrait stand out! Look for great light and a background that won’t distract from your fabulous wardrobe you’ve worked so hard on.
We love shooting Spring portraits so give us a call or email and let us know how we can help you set up your ideal session! Hope to see you soon.
If you like this post, then you may also like:
Latest posts by Amy Rose (see all)
- Boudoir // Miss S // Washington DC Boudoir Photographer - August 24, 2017
- Families // The Barlows // Wall Art - July 29, 2017
- Portraits // Taryn // modern glamour - May 5, 2017